Xen on Ubuntu: DomU hangs on boot

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at schoenhaber.de
Fri Nov 30 01:03:42 UTC 2007

Allen Fowler wrote:

> The command as listed does seem to work.. it gives an error:
>
> "mount: can't find /my/test/dir in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"

Unless you copy and paste the command you typed, the error messages you
get are pretty useless.

> That being said, i did try regenerating the DomU disk image anyway.   Things still don't work,  but obviously it's much further along.

Then chances are that the image was indeed broken.

> Here is what's happening after I create the DomU now:
>
> - "xm top" show it running at 99% CPU.  (even after 1hour+ of waiting)
> - "xm console" show a backlog, but no interactive prompt. (this is w/ "extra = 'xencons=tty'")

Without "extra = ..." it would probably hang where it hung when you
first asked.

> - I can't ssh into the DomU

No surprise.

[...]
>  * Setting the system clock

I've heard rumors that a DomU might hang when trying to access the
hwclock. Try disabling the relevant start scrips / udev rules in the DomU.

BTW: it would be nice if you could stop top posting. And it would be
even nicer if you could get a mail client that doesn't break threading.

Regards
  mks