Multi-NIC and Multi-ISP configuration (aggregation)

Jonathan Hirschman jonathan at hirschman.net
Thu Nov 29 17:46:33 UTC 2007

Phyo W. Soe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about network link aggregation. I know similar
> questions have been asked by others in the past but I haven't found any
> solution after many days of searching on the web.
>

> At first, I thought bonding is the solution. I later realized that, to
> create a bonding interface, one has to enter the IP address and gateway
> for the bonded interface. In my case, there are 2 gateways (from 2 ISPs)
> and 2 different IP addresses from each of the ISP and I don't think
> bonding will work.

No, you cannot do bonding if you're using multiple ISPs. However, some
ISPs outside of the US are using ADSL2's bonding feature to do exactly
what you want. In that case, they use special hardware at their end, and
give you a special router - and it all just looks like one connection to
your machine. This may be a good option for you outside of the US.

> Is there any other way of doing link aggregation? (I saw some tutorials
> on bonding PPPoE using internal ADSL modems but I don't have any
> internal modems)

See this: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html. It is
non-trivial; I have yet to find a nice 'end-user' way to enjoy multiple
ISP connections.

jh