Networking - multiple nics not setting up

Bill bill3 at uniserve.com
Wed Nov 28 12:53:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-28-11 at 00:10 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:

> In the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules you can setup the
> association of interface name an MAC address.

Yes. There was a rule with the address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
assigned to eth1 and the same mac assigned to eth3.
That was one problem. I just edited the file removing
eth3 and assigning the mac to eth1. I believe it was
set up originally and continued to be set up at boot.
It should have been deleted when that connection was.
Thanks for that.

>  Instead I get two virtual interfaces eth3 and eth3:avah.
> > The basic information for eth3 is correct but I don't
> > want the eth3:avah interface or the 169.x.x.x network.
> > It's the first time I've seen it. Is it dhcp, wireless,
> > or IPv6? More importantly, how do I get rid of it. You
> > can see what I want from the /etc/network/interfaces file
> > below and the output from ifconfig -a and route -n.

> The Adresses of this network are not routed on the internet. Therefore it
> usually doesn't hurt to have the virtual interface eth3:avah. If you
> really want to get rid of it, uninstall package avahi-daemon (i think,
> maybe other packages with avahi in the name).
> BTW: I think it is a bit strange that all 3 interfaces are on the same
> network and have the same gateway. I'm not sure if that could work.

Getting rid of avahi-daemon got rid of eth3:avah. I also removed
avahi-autoipd. The remaining packages are libraries and
uninstalling them will cause dependancy problems for dozens of
non-related packages. Strange. But then I usually don't
uninstall much.

I also unchecked Multi-cast DNS discovery daemon
(avahi-daemon) in System/Administration/Services

But route is still showing the 169.254.0.0 network as set up
now on eth0. Something else is hanging around to set this up.
route del -net 169.254.0.0 doesn't delete the network. It's
probably in the startup scripts somewhere.
Any idea where?

Many thanks for your help,

	b.

BTW, three nics on the one switch is indeed redundant.
Eventually, three subnets. But first proper set up and
security.

	b.