Upgrade to 7.10 halts bootup

Ken McLennan kenrmcl at mysoul.com.au
Wed Nov 28 03:13:11 UTC 2007

G'day there John,

> I had some luck on a broken Gutsy upgrade by adding "ide1=noprobe
> ide2=noprobe" to the kernel line.  However, with a clean install I had

    Wonderful news, your remedy worked like a charm. First attempt
wasn't real good, so I followed your extra advice and Googled away like
mad (OK, it was only one search, but that's not the point). A quick
perusal of Google results indicated that my IDE controllers were
probably 0 based - 0/1 not 1/2. Consequently entries of "ide0=noprobe" &
"ide1=noprobe" did the trick!!

    Thanks very much for your assistance. Without your recollections &
suggestion I'd still be scratching my head.

    Now all is well with the world and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon will bring
about world peace & end global poverty. Not to mention doing away with
the generation gap; bringing the world's religions together in
solidarity; feeding the hungry; clothing the nekkid; halting global
warming; carrying the human race to new planets and into interstellar
space!!!    Geez... those developers had better get to work!!!

Take care,
Thanks again,
See ya
Ken McLennan