MAC security (Re: Question about Wireless)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Nov 27 18:48:22 UTC 2007

Miano, Steven M. wrote:
> Too true that it's illegal to use someone else's wireless access point:
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/07/technology/personaltech/wireless_arrest
>/index.htm
>
> If someone else uses your internet connection (that your responsible
> for) they are liable for it.

Well, that depends on the country you are living in. They are certainly
liable if (and that's a big if) somebody can prove it wasn't you. I think
you would be at least partly liable here if you have an open WAP. But as
I don't want to find out the hard way and I don't want to pay a lawyer to
have an answer to the question, I will not let strangers access my WLAN.

Nils