2 hard disks

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 27 17:21:10 UTC 2007

On 11/27/2007 07:40 AM, norman wrote:
> I am setting up a new computer for my granddaughter, installed Edubuntu
> and everything works without any problem. I have the hdd from the old
> machine on which is installed Win XP. If I put this old drive into the
> new computer, along with the new one, could it be made available in case
> she needs to use windows for a game or something? I presume that the old
> drive would have to be set as a slave but what else needs to be done
> please?
>
> Norman

Yes. It's easy to do. All you need to do is:

1. Modify your /boot/grub/menu.lst to add the following at the bottom
(assumes the second drive will be sdb1):

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
Debian ones
title		Other operating systems:
root

# Non-linux OS on /dev/sdb1
title              Windows XP
root               (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map                (hd0) (hd1)
map                (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader        +1

2. Make a directory for mounting the second drive:

$ cd /media
$ sudo mkdir /media/windows

3. Modify your /etc/fstab to add the following (assumes the drive is
ntfs, if it's fat32 modify accordingly, or use 'auto' in place of ntfs
or fat32:

/dev/sdb1    /media/windows ntfs  iocharset=utf8,umask=000  0    0

4. Set the second drive to cable select/slave, boot.

Now the grub menu will show your XP boot option.
  Boot *first* into Ubuntu to make sure that Ubuntu mounts the second
drive - it should show up as an icon on your desktop and also in
Places/Nautilus (does Eubuntu use the Gnome or KDE desktop?).
  After assuring all is well in Ubuntu, go back & reboot. This time
select the XP option & boot into Windows. Windows may complain that it
has new hardward to intstall (your sda1 drive), ignore it.

That's pretty much it.

Hints:

1. I'd recommend converting the Windows drive to ntfs if it is currently
fat32. It's easy to do: open a terminal window in Windows, enter:
convert C: /fs:ntfs

Syntax

convert [volume] /fs:ntfs [/v] [/cvtarea:FileName] [/nosecurity] [/x]

That will give you a more secure file system *and* allow you to store
files larger than 4Gb on the drive - the Ubuntu Gutsy DVD for instance.

2. You will be able to read/write from/to the Windows drive from Ubuntu.
If you want to be able to do the same from Windows to the Ubuntu drive,
use: http://www.fs-driver.org/  *Caution* this will allow you to r/w to
anything on the Ubuntu drive, so you could easily screw up your Ubuntu
install. Also because the Ubuntu drive will appear as a standard drive
under Windows, a Windows virus/trojan could possibly embedd itself onto
the Ubuntu drive. It won't affect Ubuntu when you are booted under
linux, but it can make it very difficult for a Windows AntiVirus program
to find when booted under Windows.
  Further, if you allow a Windows AV to scan the linux drive, it's quite
possible that the Windows AV could screw up your drive. So, instead scan
the linux drive using AV programs that are in your linux repositories
(clamav). In other words: only use your Windows AV to scan Windows
drives, do not use it to scan your linux drive(s). You can safely use
the linux AV (clamav) to scan both the linux and the Windows drives.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV
http://www.clamav.net/
http://klamav.sourceforge.net/klamavwiki/index.php/Main_Page
[nice gui frontend for KDE that can also be used with Gnome]