MAC security (Re: Question about Wireless)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Nov 27 16:47:32 UTC 2007

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Miano, Steven M. wrote:
>> Seriously though, how secure do you need your WAP, and what do you do
>> for a living that you need to wear that tin foil hat?
>
> The problem is liability. If somebody uses my internet connection for
> criminal activity I may be liable because I am responsible for the use of
> the IP address given to me.

It's not even necessarily that you could be held liable for something known
to have been done by somebody else.  If somebody is downloading kiddie-porn
over your connection, and your IP is found in the investigation, you're
going to be treated as a criminal right up to the point that they find
proof that you didn't do it - and maybe beyond.  And, frankly, I don't
think you'll get (or deserve) much sympathy.
--
derek