2 hard disks

Pete Clapham w.clapham at csuohio.edu
Tue Nov 27 16:58:47 UTC 2007

This is easy in any flavor of Linux/Unix.  The new disk is hdb or sdb,
depending on whether it's IDE or SATA.  The 'b' is the important thing.
Define a mount point (e.g. /home/annie/disk2, where /home/annie is
Annie's home directory).  Then mount the /dev/hdb1 as /home/annie/disk2
(the 1 is added when you format the disk to ext3 or ext2, as is the
UUID).  You then should add the mount information to the /etc/fstab
table.  The easiest way to do this is to sudo gedit /etc/fstab and add
the line immediately below the line for hda1.  It can be almost exactly
the same; simply change hda1 to hdb1; and correct the mount point, but
/don't/ change the UUID that's given there.  There is a bunch of other
information in the fstab table as well, but you can use the same numbers
as present for other drives.  This sounds like a lot of hard work, and
it is more involved than with Windows, but it's also a lot more
flexible, since it lets you put the new disk within the file system the
way /you/ want rather than lockstep C: D: E: . . . .

Good luck.

cheers,
pete

--
Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences

Voice:  [216] 687-4820
Fax:  [216] 687-6972
w.clapham at csuohio.edu