Question about Wireless

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Nov 27 14:45:26 UTC 2007

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> Em Tuesday 27 November 2007 07:28:09 Karl Auer escreveu:
> > On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 14:42 +0530, AlgoMantra wrote:
> > > I have tried the system on someone else's
> > > open network, but I couldn't use it for some reason! It was just a
> > > freak signal in the neighbouhood.
> >
> > MAC filtering will look like that. Not very secure though.
>
> Why? Can it be bypassed?

MAC filtering means that the AP only talks to a known set of MAC
addresses. It isn't secure because you can set some (maybe all?) wireless
cards to arbitrary MAC addresses - but there are problems doing it. 1) It
may be illegal. 2) If the real owner of that MAC address is active there
will be lots of collisions and possibly both clients can't do anything
usefull. Anyway, if you want to have a rather secure wireless network,
use WPA/WPA2.

Nils