Windows Share Does Not Want to Connect Ubuntu Laptop

Arnold Pietersen arnold.pietersen at cecs.org.za
Tue Nov 27 13:26:48 UTC 2007

I have set up a Windows XP computer with a shared printer connected to
it.  I use to print to it in the past from my Ubuntu laptop with no
hassles and without having setup up anything. It somehow worked  "out of
the box".

Now lately I have been asked for username and password if I want to
connect to the Windows XP computer. I am not able to retrace my steps in
terms of where it could have gone wrong.

The Windows shared computer is called PRINT-COMPUTER within the CECS
workgroup with a DHCP of 192.168.10.101

The laptop's hostname is arnold with a DHCP of 192.168.10.102

What is a minimal smb.conf file content in order to access the shared
computer?  At the moment I have the following in smb.conf:

[global]
netbios name = arnold
workgroup = CECS
security = share
name resolve order = lmhosts hosts

Is the above correct?  Is there anything I should add or change on the
Windows XP machine or in the smb.conf file.

Thanks in advance

Arnold