Running 32bit applications on a 64bit system

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 26 23:00:11 UTC 2007

> 32-bit libraries on debian/ubuntu amd64 systems can be easily installed
> as ia32-libs and related packages. Libraries end up in /lib32 and most
> 32-bit dynamically linked apps work fine.

I thought that /lib *always* contained the 32 bit libs, on both 32 and
64 bit systems. On 64bit systems the 64bit libs are in /lib64. It
doesn't make any sense to place the same 32 bit libs in difference
places on different systems.

At least this is how things are on RH systems. I don't have a 64bit
ubuntu system to poke around in ...

cheers Chris