manually forcing a IP renewal

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Nov 26 21:06:00 UTC 2007

Brian McKee wrote:

> On 24-Nov-07, at 11:56 AM, Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>> He tried:
>> sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart  with returned command not found.
>> sudo dhclient  returned: DHCPDISCOVER and then after about three
>> minute
>> wait DHCPOFFERS receivd no working leases in persistened database -
>> sleeping.

There's steps missing - if you don't get this full sequence it implies you
aren't actually communicating with the DHCP server:

Nov 26 16:01:35 bella dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255
port 67 interval 7
Nov 26 16:01:35 bella dhclient: DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
Nov 26 16:01:35 bella dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port
67
Nov 26 16:01:35 bella dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1

>> When he removes this ubuntu computer and connect his Windows computer,
>> the windows computers gets a ip right away.
>
> I believe Windows does not release IP addresses  by default.
> Try ipconfig /release on the Windows box before you shut it down,
> then start up the Linux box and see if it gets issued something.

It's worth a try, but I don't believe it can make a difference.  As far as
the DHCP server is concerned, your computer has no OS.  All it sees is a
MAC address.  Since that is the same when you're running in Ubuntu or
Windows, you should (and I always do) get the same IP address from the
server
--
derek