MPlayer doesnt play any movies ?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Nov 26 17:42:20 UTC 2007

John Dangler wrote:
> Just installed MPlayer and its associated parts (skins, fonts, moz)
> I have some avi movie files on a usb drive, so I thought I'd try this
> out. Every file I attempt to open says the same thing -
> "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device."

Obviously Mplayer can't find the video device for which it is set up.
Enter the command

mplayer -vo help

to get a list of available devices. Then try them one after the other. The
command would be something like

mplayer -vo x11 /path/to/your/video.avi

where x1 is one of the devices from the list given by mplayer.

Nils