problems saving in openoffice (H.S.)

thewitness84 at gmail.com thewitness84 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:52:55 UTC 2007

Tim M wrote:
> I am trying to save a letter that I have started in Openoffice. I can
> write all I wish to but when I try to save I get this error message:
>
> OpenOffice.org 2.3
> Error saving the document Untitled1:
> /home/lap1/Documents/jackie7.odt does not exist
>
> Of course it doesn't exist I am creating it! I click Ok
> and another error message pops up saying:
>
> Error saving the document Untitled1:
> General Error.
> General input/output error.
>
> What do these messages mean and how can I save the letter I am writing?
>
> Tim

I have had a similar error when the permissions for the directory I was trying to save to were set incorrectly. Do you own the directory? If not, you might want to do a "sudo chmod 766 DIRECTORY_NAME" or "sudo chowner $USER" (where $USER is you)  on it to allow you to write to the directory. I don't know if that is your problem, but it is worth a try.