problems saving in openoffice

John Dangler jdangler at terremark.com
Sun Nov 25 18:00:17 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 12:43 -0500, Tim M wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2007 11:33 AM, John Dangler <jdangler at terremark.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 12:29 -0500, Tim M wrote:
> > > I am trying to save a letter that I have started in Openoffice. I
> can
> > > write all I wish to but when I try to save I get this error
> message:
> > >
> > > OpenOffice.org 2.3
> > > Error saving the document Untitled1:
> > > /home/lap1/Documents/jackie7.odt does not exist
> > >
> > > Of course it doesn't exist I am creating it! I click Ok
> > > and another error message pops up saying:
> > >
> > > Error saving the document Untitled1:
> > > General Error.
> > > General input/output error.
> > >
> > > What do these messages mean and how can I save the letter I am
> > > writing?
> > Are you opening a new document, typing text, then going to
> File->Save ?
> > Or File -> Save As ?
> > If Save is giving you the errors, try Save As.
> >
> > > Tim
>
> Yes, I was using Save As because I was using a previous letter as a
> template. Hmm, that is strange. I used Save As and saved it to my
> Desktop and it worked! Maybe there is a problem with permissions in
> the document directory? How would I check that out?
>
> Tim
Tools -> Options -> Paths
Check where things are being saved by default
then try ls -l in a terminal on that directory (you should be the owner
and group where you're saving files).

A word of caution - if the directory you're saving files to isn't
somewhere in the path of /home/<you> ... I would edit the Oo setting and
put it there.  A default of /usr/<something> , would be wrong, and you
wouldn't want to alter permissions in the filesystem somewhere that will
affect a lot of other apps.