Linux Wish List ( Email Client )

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Nov 25 04:36:38 UTC 2007

Richard wrote:

> On Friday 23 November 2007 5:38:09 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> KMail is fully integrated into the _OS_.  It just doesn't have all those
>> plugins...  But as for Plaxo - https://launchpad.net/klaxon/  I have no
>> idea how good it is, but it's advanced far enough to have a bug database.
>
> Disagree with that statement, Kontact (kde-pim) its no-where near as
> intergrated into the OS as MS Office Professional & Outlook are.

Give me some examples.  I use both all the time, and I really can't see the
difference in integration.  In fact, one might suggest Kontact's
integration is better, because Outlook has a bad habit of not conforming to
MS's own user interface guidelines.

> Good to know, that kontact is getting a plaxo plug-in.. (YEA!)

Well, I may have been premature - it has someone who wants to create one...

>> > However..."Outlook" suffers from the single file database or .pst
>> > files, which can easily become corrupted, compare to KMail, which keeps
>> > messages, in maildir or mbox format,
>>
>> mbox format is no improvement... :-)
>
> Agree, but there are differences between Mbox formats:

Ack!  I should hope not.  mbox is mbox.  How would all the various *nix mail
agents read them if people were writing them differently!

>> > its a better solution (But Sql Backend would be better),
>>
>> I disagree, but Linux has that.  There's at least one IMAP implementation
>> that uses a SQL backend.  There'd be zero point to putting that into the
>> mail client.
>
> Not even talking about IMAP, but (pop3), I want to take all my emails with
> me, on the road (laptop) all 800,000+ So, Sql backend would be the better
> in this case.

Aargh!!!  You're missing the point.  You _don't_ put this sort of thing into
a mail client when you already have a perfectly good solution.  I take all
of MY emails with me on the road, on my laptop too, and I access them via
IMAP.  The imap server also sits on the laptop.  It's simply the most
convenient way to provide _any_ backend storage solution for mail clients -
and it isn't tied to any specific mail client.

>> > plus Kmail has has better filtering than Outlook, but not as
>> > good, compare to Eudora ( which can use multiply statements ) "if or
>> > and "..etc, on a single filter. ( one time, I used 9 statements on a
>> > single filter )
>>
>> omigod!  I can't do that???  I _do_ do that.  However, in KMail you're
>> restricted to a mere 8 conditions and 8 actions per filter, so I guess
>> Eudora wins :-)
>
> You can't do this:in Kmail
> ------------------------------------
> if from contains: Tom123 at yahoo.com
> or

Please don't tell me what I can't do.  I DO do that in KMail.

> Unified, application should work together, front and backend,
> between the seems, and fully interaction between apps, as if the
> application,
> where plug-ins of each other.  Again, where not talking about IMAP,

I am, and you should be.  You can't see the forest for the trees.  You've
decided on a solution before really working out the requirement.
--
derek