Laptop sleep gone bad in Gutsy

Jonathan Hudson jh+ubuntu at daria.co.uk
Sun Nov 25 10:47:40 UTC 2007

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 20:32:27 -0500
Paul S <paulatgm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul S said the following on 11/23/2007 09:48 PM:
> > Jonathan Hudson said the following on 11/23/2007 02:16 PM:
> >> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:10:14 -0500
> >> Paul S <paulatgm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > \> $ aptitude show pm-utils
> >
> > OK, so I've installed pm-utils and created the files you suggested.
> > Unfortunately, the performance is not better than the acpi-support.  It
> > resumed from 5 suspends, but then rebooted on the 6th.  This is about
> > the same performance as acpi-support gives with compiz running.  I have
> > different hardware than you .. Dell with nvidia.
>
> I have continued to play with this and now am seeing better results.  In
> fact, I am setting records with each suspend and successful resume (now
> at 13) even with compiz.  I had to do more than just install that
> package though.  "sudo aptitude purge acpi-support" took out
> [k,x]ubuntu-desktop and powermanagent-interface and installed uswsusp.
> Then "sudo aptitude purge kde-guidance-powermanager" and then "sudo
> aptitude install kpowersave".  Then I rebooted.  I am using just the
> default installation, with no changes to the configuration files, not
> even the ones you suggested.  I am running compiz in kde with kdm.  Both
> suspend and hibernate are working without error so far.  I even have
> billard-gl and glxgears running on the other desktops to raise the load.
>   This IS impressive, compared to acpi-support!

Right. Now you mention it, it was uswsup that was the key. As I'm not
running KDE, I didn't see the other stuff you mention. It would be
nice if this just worked; it seems that every time there is a Ubuntu
release, I spend an afternoon Googling and otherwise messing around
trying to work out what the magic recipe to have suspend / resume "just
work" might be.

-jh