Uninstall programs in Linux

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Nov 24 19:28:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 20:55 +0300, OOzy Pal wrote:
> Hi
>
> How do you usually uninstall programs compiled from source
> (configure/make/make install) in Ubuntu?

If the makefile provides no uninstall target (make uninstall), then you
are basically out of luck and need to track the files yourself (note
which files are installed by "make install". You can prevent this by
doing "checkinstall make install" instead of a plain "make install" in
the first place. This will create a *.deb package that you can install
with dpkg or gdebi, and which is tracked by the package manager. To
uninstall you then can use the same commands as when uninstalling other
packages. Check the manpage of checkinstall.

I guess if you did a "make install", you can now follow this up by the
described method and then uninstall with dpkg or apt-get. It should
catch all files if you used the same compile flags.