wwwh.found-not-help.com

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Nov 23 20:12:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:15:10 -0400
Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> it seems somewhat pointless to change my DNS because I find the ads
> annoying - just to go to OpenDNS where I can get ads...

It happens rather rarely. Only when you mistype or try to access a
non-existent site etc. I used it for a few months - it wasn't intrusive.

Having said that, I'm sure there are alternatives. As far as I know, most
DNS servers should be open, so you could use a different set of DNS IPs
anyway.

For example, when I was on dial-up I used the DNS from my previous ISP
for months without noticing that I had not changed it... And a local
sysadmin in our LUG regularly recommends a particular ISPs DNS to people
who are not with that ISP.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net