installing a NIC card

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 21 16:30:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:50:59 -0500
usabdasc at aol.com wrote:

> After Googling I tried:
> * modprobe rtl8139
> * modprobe RTL8139
> * modprobe 8139
> * modprobe RT8139
>
> With all of these attempts I got a "module not found" message.?

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=+RT8139+linux+module&btnG=Search&meta=

Try

sudo modprobe 8139too

if that returns no errors, and actually works,  add 8139too on a separate
line to /etc/modules so it will load on boot:

echo "8139too" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

or use an editor.

You presumably now have two ethernet cards in your system - you might
check to see if they are listed in /etc/iftab ( although IIRC that file no
longer exists by default) Possibly the system is still trying to use the
old card. I think you could disable the old module
in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist , if necessary.

lsmod

should tell you which modules are actually loaded

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net