installing a NIC card

usabdasc at aol.com usabdasc at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 15:50:59 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I reciently installed Ubuntu 7.04 on a Dell Optiplex GX260.? Everything went well but I didn't seem to have any access to the ethernet.? Since my coworkers were willing to let me have the box it is reasonable to assume that something is wrong with it.? Having the onboard ethernet not working made sense.? Thus, I went to my local clone shop and bought a $19 NIC card with a Realtek 8139 on it.? My problem is: how do I make Ubuntu see and use the NIC card without doing a full reinstall?

After Googling I tried:
* modprobe rtl8139
* modprobe RTL8139
* modprobe 8139
* modprobe RT8139

With all of these attempts I got a "module not found" message.?

The last posting after I do a "lspci -v | less" is:

01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
??? Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RT8139
??? Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
??? I/O ports at 4400 [size=256]
??? Memory at ff8ffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
??? Expansion ROM at 40000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
??? Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

The card seems to be "live" and "seen", but I don't know how to make it work.? Any suggestions?

Also, I assume "modprobe" is short for "module probe".? The man page was a typical "technically correct but worthless as a tutorial" page.? A quick Google for "modprobe tutorial" didn't turn up much.? Are there any good tutorials for modprobe or is it very module to module specific?

Thank you,
Bruce