Question on the "superuser"

Owen Townend bowbowbow at optushome.com.au
Wed Nov 21 12:46:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 20:35 +0800, lu sy wrote:
> Hi
>
> During the installation of ubuntu, i was asked to set my username and
> password. Does this mean that this is the password for the
> "superuser"?
>
> Every time I log in using this username and password, does this make
> me the superuser? Does this mean that when i am in the Terminal, i am
> already at the "root" ?
>
> I am the only person using this computer.
>
> Thanks
>
> bakut

> Real people. Real questions. Real answers. Share what you know.

Hey,
  The username and password you gave were not for the super user. They
are for an ordinary user account. Ubunt uses `sudo` (super-user do) to
allow you to have superuser access when it is needed. For example if you
go to open an administrative task from the menu it will ask for a
password, this is to allow that task to run as the superuser.

cheers,
Owen.