Tcp Tuning for boardband ?

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Tue Nov 20 18:28:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:11 -0500, Richard wrote:

> Thilo, can I add these too, but CHANGE the window_scaling = 0
> according to the link you listed, this way, it would be compatible with the
> broken routers out there, or NO ?

Without window scaling the maximum TCP window size is limited to 64K.
Many of the other settings will not matter because of this limit. This
basically means the total number of bytes "in flight" on the network
without window scaling is set to this maximum by the protocol. e.g.
window size is a 16 bit unsigned number in the TCP header.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
email: smoot at tic.com