(New to Kubuntu/ Linux) Update/ upgrade difficulties Thunderbird.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:08:51 UTC 2007

Dear everybody

Here is Bas, completely new to Linux and Kubuntu.
Recently, Kubuntu 7.10 has been installed on my laptop by a friend who
is kindly helping me to find my way into Linux in general and Kubuntu in
particular.
So far,  nearly everything seems to run smoothly,  except two major issues:
* the e-mail client 'Thunderbird'.
* the sound input functions of this laptop in combination with Kubuntu 7.10.
For the sake of brevity and clearness, I dedicate this message to one
issue only: the upgrade difficulties with Thunderbird. To the second
issue,  the sound input, I will dedicate a separate message.

Seemingly, the Kubuntu 7.10 Linux distribution still has an old version
of Thunderbird: 2.0.0.6. This is the version that has been installed on
my laptop. The newest version is 2.0.0.9. Several spell-check
dictionaries (.xpi files/ add-ons) are not compatible with version
2.0.0.6. This became clear when I tried to install them. That's why this
problem became relevant for me.

I could have solved this problem if the update function would work
smoothly: Thunderbird > HELP > check for updates. However, for some
reason this update option is not accessible; the light gray colour of
the text 'check for updates' underline that nothing happens if one
clicks on it. So far, I did not manage to change the settings in such a
way that the update function can work.

A related problem might be the difficulties I have to access the on line
'release notes' and help pages from Thunderbird by directly clicking on
the appropriate options of the HELP menu. When trying to click there, I
landed on the 'launchpad' website:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/148487
There, I am the 2nd person who mentions this problem. The first person
has had  a similar problem with Ubuntu 7.10 in combination with
Thunderbird  2.0.0.6. That's why, I CC this mail also to the Ubuntu list.

Thanks for your possible comments. Respectfully Yours,

Bas Roufs.

II--
*************************
Viaconsensus