CUPS, Firefox, and PPD to force Black and White

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 20 02:48:41 UTC 2007

On 11/19/2007 06:03 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 09:21:11AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> On 11/19/2007 09:03 AM, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>

>> > BTW -- Why doesn't Firefox offer the printer options from the PPD?
>> > Just not a very advanced printing interface?  Can I pipe the output
>> > from Firefox thorugh, say, gtkpl?
>> >

>> Why are you doing all of that? Can you set your printer to print to B&W?
>> If so, add the printer, set it as B&W and name it BW<printername>. Now
>> add the printer again, set it as Color and name it Color<printername>,
>> ditto for duplex etc.
>>
>> Now set BW<printername> as the default printer. When you want to print
>> in color print to the Color<printername> printer. It's the same printer,
>>  it's just now set to print in color instead of B&W.
>
> Hum, I think that's exactly what I described that didn't work in
> Firefox.  That's the part you didn't quote from my original email.
>
> It works when I print from OpenOffice, but when printing from Firefox
> it always prints in color.

I may be mistaken, but I think you described a PPD hack of sorts. I
described leaving everything as is & simply creating multiple printers
from System|Administration|Printing. Using the same PPD, just creating
multiple printers using the same printer, same driver, same PPD, just
different configuration setting for the printer(s).
  If I am mistaken and that is what you have done, then I'd suspect your
profile in Firefox probably still has only the color settings in it. You
can probably fix this by: 1) renaming ./mozilla/firefox to
./mozilla/x-firefox and try restarting FF. If that doesn't work, then
reload FF -that's probably easier than going through about:config in FF
and sorting out your printers there. Alternately, reboot and/or logout &
then back in to see if FF picks up your printer changes then.