USB Audio Problems

Gérard BIGOT gerard.bigot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 09:08:42 UTC 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 9:39 AM, Steven Martin <drumsandwires at yahoo.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I am really close to turning Ubuntu into an operating
> system that does everything that I need...except for
> one really important thing.  I frequently stream audio
> over the internet.  I have two different applications
> that both work RealPlayer and MPlayer, however neither
> of them pick up my USB port that I connect to my
> amplifier.  When I test my speakers trough SYSTEM ->
> Preferences -> Sound, Ubuntu plays test sounds to my
> amplifier just fine.  But not any of the applications
> that I will make my USB connection useful!!!
> Urggggghhhhhh.
>
> Help please.

The question to be asked is : what sound server do you use?

Because, I recommand pulseaudio (the default sound server for lots of other
distros). And in it's latest version, they did a screencast with just that,
an on-the-fly (after-the-fact) add of an usb  sound device plugged in, to
which it's possible to transfer already playing stream ....

I found it amazing ...

the screencast : http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-097.html
the website : www.pulseaudio.org

G.