Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

Anthony M. Rasat anton at kaltimpost.net
Sun Nov 18 01:25:53 UTC 2007

I assume your DVDR is an "usual" ATAPI (I mean with big 40-pin data cable, UDMA/33 and so on), can you gave us the result of following command (from command prompt or terminal):

dmesg | grep ata

That command will give us a quick look on what hardware you have according to linux kernel, focusing on ata.

For example, in my kubuntu 7.04 box, that command will gave (not all lines revealed here):

ata1.00: ATA-7: MAXTOR 2F030J0, VAM51JJ0, max UDMA/133
ata1.00: 60058656 sectors, multi 16: LBA
ata2.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33

See? Linux identified my CDRW (err, I know it is not DVDR, not with a thick wallet here heheh) as ata2. Now let us see yours.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
IT Department
Kaltim Post Group