RC startup scripts?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 17 20:02:36 UTC 2007

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:20:26 -0800
conover at rahul.net (John Conover) wrote:

> > > Where are the start up scripts, (for example starting/stopping
> > > iptables, according to run level, starting dns/smtp services, etc.,)
> > > in Ubuntu 7.10?
> > >
> > > They are not in the usual place of /etc/rc* and /etc/init.d.
> >
> > They absolutely are...
>
> Where's the iptables script for state 5?

I think you are looking for something that has never existed in Debian or
in Ubuntu.

You can certainly configure starting and stopping of iptables - I have a
couple of scripts that I wrote to do just that, with appropriate hooks
exactly where I wanted them.

State 5 ? Can you explain this? Do you mean run level 5? If so, I wonder
again whether you are looking for something that does not exist by default
in Debian or Ubuntu, because a default configuration does not use that
run level. The multi-user run level is by default 2 both with X, and
without it, in Debian-based distros generally.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net