keyboard remapping + installing DVD software

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Sat Nov 17 16:06:59 UTC 2007

hi

I'm a new user of Ubuntu - just installed version 7.10 on my old Sharp
laptop. So far so good, but I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could
help me out with a couple of problems I've encountered...

1. The "w" key on my keyboard has died (wouldn't you know it?) and
rather than get a new keyboard, I thought I'd try and remap one of the
lesser used keys, like the ` key (I never use it) to be a "w" instead.
Has anyone got any idea how, or even if, this can be done in Ubuntu?

2. I've tried playing DVDs on the laptop. It comes up with a dialog box
called "install multimedia codecs" where it asks me to tick a box called
"GStreamer extra plugins". When I tick it asks me to "confirm
installation of restricted software" which I do (local law permits this)
but then it says "The list of application s is not available - Click on
'Reload' to reload it". When I click, it takes me right back to where I
started. What should I do?

Many thanks

Robert