GIMP in Gutsy is a "release conadidate".

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Sat Nov 17 11:05:52 UTC 2007

Yes, I know I spelled "candidate" wrong but it's part of the point I'm
going to make here.

The spelling comes from the GIMP splash screen in Gutsy.  I guess they
(the GIMP devs) were in a hurry to get it out the door. They let a
painfully obvious spelling error go by.

But that's only part of my point.

This is a *major* app.  It's one of the most popular FLOSS apps on the
planet. As a result, Ubuntu has it in their main (i.e fully supported
free software) repository.

My question is....

What is a *release candidate* doing in a *final release* of Ubuntu? This
can't be part of the "polish" that the SABDFL strives for can it?

Actually, I know why it's there (I think). It's there because 2.2 was
showing it's age and 2.4 was about to be released and Ubuntu (as usual)
missed a major release by a major app by a few weeks.

Fedora had this same situation (Fedora 8) come up as well. The
difference is, when 4.2 final (and the 4.2.1 bugfix right after) it came
it was released and is fully supported.

The best chance we have of seeing a release here is probably as an
unsupported backport.  I'd rather it be an update, but it seems that may
not happen.

But if you want it to be an update (rather than a backport) *AND* would
like to see it soon (either way).....

then *please* subscribe to this bug report.

Amazingly the sync request was changed to wishlist(!) and the person who
did so cut and run. He is nowhere to be found and the bug is sitting
there unassigned,

Maybe if enough people show interest we'll see changes.

So...

Please visit https://bugs.launchpad.net/baltix/+source/gimp/+bug/157642
and add your comments.  If you have nothing useful to add then please
just *subscribe* to the bug. The more people who do, the better our
changes are of getting *something* done here soon.

FWIW, there are a *lot* of bugfixes since the 4.0rc3.

Here are just a few examples:

http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS-2.4

*EDIT* GIMP is now at 2.4.2 (2.4.1 is in Debian Sid - I'd settle for that).

Thanks.

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com