SOLVED !what´s taking up all this space on my hdd?

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 01:34:48 UTC 2007

Owen Townend wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 13:21 -0500, anthony baldwin wrote:
>
>> Okay,
>> I'm just a bundle of joy this week, eh...
>> This is really, really weird.
>>
>> I'm running Dapper, right, and I decided to try feisty, so
>> I stuck in the livecd and made a partition and installed feisty.
>> I used about 140gb of my drive.  I figured I'd hang out with feisty and
>> leave dapper as a backup, or something.
>> I left my dapper install on about 45 gb.
>>
>> Then, I decided that I'd rather stick with dapper...
>>
>> So, I stuck the live cd back in, and deleted the feisty partition,
>> resized my dapper partition to 140, made a new 45gb partition
>> and installed feisty on that little partition, just for back up.
>>
>> Now, kdiskfree, the gnome disk thingy, and every other indicator
>> is telling me that the dapper partition of c. 140gb has only 8gb
>> of free space, even though it only identifies about 30gb
>> of contents on the partition (most of which is my large collection
>> of excellent Brazilian music...and tonso documents I've translated over
>> the past year).
>> So...if I only have 30gb of stuff on a 140gb partition, why
>> do I have only 8gb of free space on said partition?
>> What´s taking up the other c. 102gb of space?
>> Dryer elves storing my lost socks?
>>
>> This is freaking me out, man...
>>
>> you dudes rock
>> thanks for all the help
>>
>> /tony
>>
>> --
>> http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
>> Translation & Interpreting
>>

> Hey,
>   Extending the disk partition does not automagically extend the
> filesystem to fill the space. Have a look at resize2fs (ext2/3) or
> resize_reiserfs (reiserfs) etc, depending on your filesystem type.
> Usually the default is to extend it to fill the partition.
>
> At the moment this is kinda what's happening:
>
> [--------------------------------------------]  Disk size
> [---------------------------] Partition size
> [-----------]  Filesystem size
> [--------] Used space
>          ^--^ 8 GB free is here.
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

You were absolutely correct.
It appears as though gparted was interrupted when
performing the whole operation the first time, and resized the partition
without resizing the file system, or something.
Before even seeing this mail, I loaded up the livecd again and
went back and resized the partition again (shaved off a whole mb),
and it came out correct.
Now, it is a 137gb partition with 33gb used and 104gb free.

THANKS!
Ubuntu rocks.
The Ubuntu community rocks.
It´s Friday.