Dellbuntu 6400n

IsomerX isomerx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 22:15:02 UTC 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 2:59 PM, Preston Hagar <prestonh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007 8:53 AM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > Jacob wrote:
> >
> > > *drools*
> > >
> > > Ugh... must... avoid... Dell's... laptops... ...terrible*... cannot...
> > > must... resist... ugh....
> > >

> > > * (Dell has a bad history of things breaking down, as far as I've have
> > > heard.)
> >
> > Dell has a bad history of not responding to (paid) support requests in my
> > experience.  So I didn't buy a Dell last month...
> >
> > However, I'm sure this little anecdote has _nothing_ to do with Dell (except
> > that the Ubuntu was preinstalled) and everything to do with Ubuntu.
> > --
> > derek
> >

> Unfortunately, to get any kind of support from Dell, you have to
> purchase the "Gold Level Support" when you purchase your machine.
> Otherwise, their support is somewhat worthless.  Here is their
> description (from their website) of "Gold Level Support"
>
> Gold Technical Support
> Expert support for businesses that need rapid problem resolution for
> minimal downtime and maximum productivity. With easy access to 24/7
> North American-based technical support via phone, e-mail and online
> chat, you get direct contact with technicians. Our Gold Technical
> Support helps ensure your business can make the most of technology at
> all times, giving you a single point of contact for all your service
> issues.
>
> I just love the "North American-based technical support" part.

Having formerly worked for that "North American-based technical
support"  and currently working with another who used to work for that
"North American-based technical support" I can tell you that it is as
of yet -still- not yet 24hr.  During the night (3pm-6pm roughly) here
in Phoenix those calls are redirected to the Philippines.  I have also
been told that some of the North-American based techs feel that the
Philippines based techs are sabotaging the attempt to move tech
support here.