Virtualization: Gutsy-on-Gutsy ?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Nov 16 13:03:47 UTC 2007

Caleb Marcus wrote:
> Try VirtualBox... it's free, easy to install (they have a .deb) and easy
> to use. The only issue you'll probably run into is that you have to add
> yourself to the VirtualBox group through System>Administration>Users and
> Groups, which is pretty simple, but not well-documented. However, in my
> experience, setting up VirtualBox is much easier than setting up any
> VMWare flavor.

I don't know about that...I haven't had any trouble with VMWare, plus
it's super easy to run a couple VMs without having the interface running.

I used to run VMWare from the repos, but after upgrading to Gutsy, it
appeared that no one was maintaining it.  I had to download the server
edition from VMWare directly and get the keys again from their website
(free).

Ran the installer and I haven't had any problems with it (yet).  You can
run a couple VMs at a time, let them run in the background (if you're
playing with server edition Ubuntu, so you can close the management
interface and have it appear as if they were just servers on your
network).  I've had no problems with networking.  I don't think the
server edition supports sound, though, so if you're looking for that
you'd need the vmware player, but then you may have trouble generating
VMs because I think the free player doesn't create VMs, only uses
pre-existing ones?

Doesn't hurt to try each one, though.  You can install virtualbox on
your system alongside VMWare and see which you prefer.