Logout applet - warning

Stereotypical Rage ubuntu.stereo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 00:34:39 UTC 2007

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Thursday 15 November 2007, NoOp wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if it is possible to have the logout/shutdown etc applet
>> issue a warning before actually acting on the selected action?
>>
>> Example: user clicks the applet which brings up: Shutdown, Restart,
>> Logout choices - user click the Shutdown button & the machine
>> immediately shuts down (as expected).
>>
>> Problem: sometimes the user (often times me :-) is in a hurry and clicks
>>  Shutdown inststead of Restart or some other intended button. Ubuntu is
>> so efficient that it immediately does as asked and shutsdown the machine.
>>
>> Is it possible to issue some sort of warning similar to that issued when
>> changing screen resolution, ala;
>>
>> You've requested that this machine Shutdown (or Restart). This machine
>> will <shutdown or restart> in x seconds, press Accept to confirm or
>> Cancel to cancel the request.
>>

> Sounds too much like Windows for me.     "Are you sure??    Really sure??"

I like what OS X does... It says:  WHATEVER is X(Shutting down, logging
off, restarting). If you do nothing within X minutes (counts down) you
will be X(whatever you picked to start). It gives the option to cancel
as well. I think it is a good idea to add because I myself have fallen
victim to exactly this, being in a rush and not reading the screen. THIS
is something that SHOULD HAVE a confirmation.