xorg.conf file for single or multi-head setup

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 16:09:32 UTC 2007

I'm running Kubuntu 7.10 on a Thinkpad T43 w/ intel 915 video.  I am often connected to a Sony X-95 external monitor.

Using the X configurator, I generated the attached xorg.conf file to allow a two screen virtual desktop.

However, when the external monitor is not attached, I get the same 2304x1024 Desktop with only a fraction visible on the laptop monitor.

On previous machines I was able to us xrandr to change the screen resolution to 1024x768 under this situation, but now nothing happens.

Here is the output of xrandr:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 2304 x 1024, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768       60.0*
   800x600        56.0
   640x480        60.0
$

using xrandr -s 1024x768 or xrandr -s 0 does nothing but return to the command prompt.

I don't want to add a second server stanza to my xorg.conf file for single head configuration since I would have to exit the display manager.  How can I get 1024x768 resolution?

TIA
Paul