[Follow-up/update] Re: [gutsy] recommendation for pcmcia wireless on T21

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 04:12:34 UTC 2007

On 11/06/2007 08:23 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/05/2007 08:02 PM, NoOp wrote:
> In the meantime I'm
>> thinking of just getting him a PCMCIA wireless card that he can use
>> instead. I'm hesitant to do this unless I know of one that will just
>> plug in and go w/Gutsy on the T21. Any suggestions?
>>

> Thanks to all that replied - I appreciate the suggestions & will post
> back on what I eventually end up with.
>
> Gary

My son came home for a visit yesterday & brought along his D-Link
WUSB11-B V 2.8 and his Thinkpad T21. For the life of me I couldn't get
Gutsy to recognize the WUSB11. Bear in mind that this T21 had a hard
drive from my old A21M that had been through Dapper --> Edgy --> Gutsy
upgrades. In the end I just did a complete new install of Gutsy,
following that I plugged the WUSB11 in and it just worked.

So... I got daring & tried a brand new Belkin F5D7010 PCMCIA card in the
T21. Popped it in while I still had a wired connection; Gutsy recognized
it, configured the required restricted drivers manager & poof... it
worked. Disconnected the wired connection, found a bare wireless network
& connected. :-)

Signal strength on the Belkin F5D7010 PCMCIA is about half of the D-Link
WUSB11, but it does work.

Still don't know why neither wireless worked previously, but happy that
they are working following the fresh Gusty install.

Gary