FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 12 19:36:08 UTC 2007

Lost a reply to your last post due to a quick finger
on wrong button but will rm avamisd-new if for no
other reason than taking up unnecessary bandwith.
--- Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>

> > --- Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
> >> Ubuntu specifically leaves them out because they
> >> don't believe you need
> >> them.  I happen to think they're probably right.
> >>
> >Big snip.
>
> Come to think of it, it may even be that odd doubly
> defined "ubuntu"
> in /etc/hosts.  127.0.0.1 may well be considered
> local by default, but the
> other address can't be.

I can agree here as now having trouble writing root
mail. wrote an email to root with this error output:
chata at ubuntu:/etc/bind$ mail root
Subject: Test For Root Mail
this is an email to root to see if it gets through
.
send-mail: fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local
interface found for 127.0.1.1
Can't send mail: sendmail process failed
lchata at ubuntu:/etc/bind$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 ubuntu
192.168.1.64    ubuntu

I have changed much in "host","main.cf","Mailname"
using hostname and domainname, etc,. Stupidly I didn't
backup the original hosts file so don't know what it
should be. Just now seeing the error though. Also,
googled 127.0.1.1, localdonain, hosts, etc and haven't
found any thing specific, although one hit showed what
appeared to be a machine name which is what ubuntu is.
What I've done since last posting is try
"gateway.2wire.net" and "examples.com" as
domainname,and all failed to allow root mail but I
suspect the problem lies in main.cf. Have read all the
related postfix manuals also with no help to me(you
know why). Have did a reconfigure on postfix to get
back to default but it's not what i remember.
So, open to suggestions? I'm ready to post main.cf,
hosts and mailname or whatever is asked for as nothing
is what it once was.
Await your reply,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net