Dual screens and Gaming?

Owen Townend bowbowbow at optushome.com.au
Sun Nov 11 07:12:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 16:05 +0900, Senectus . wrote:
> It's been a while since I've played a decent game on linux, and now
> that X3: Reunion, UT 3 and ET: QW are all Linux enabled I would like
> to come back into the fold of gamers again :-)
>
> One thing I've always wanted to do long ago was run the game on one
> screen while I have the other screen with a manual open or IRC open
> etc.. has X (and nvidia's drivers) improved enough to do this now?
>
> --
> Ubuntu Dapper 7.04
> The less you know, the more you believe. - Bono
> The more you know the less you need to say. - Jim Rohn

Hey,
  Most games in linux are full screen and use opengl to capture the
mouse from leaving its window. Some games are multi-screen aware, but
usually this is to make use of the second screen, or choose between them
which won't let you still run IRC etc. I believe there's an option in
opengl itself to disallow the capture, but this is not really desirable
in FPS games, but would be ok for RTS.

cheers,
Owen.