ubuntu in Fujitsu Primepower 450?

Yang Zhao zhaoyang.nj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 06:29:41 UTC 2007

2007/11/9, Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>:

> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 08:53 +0800, Yang Zhao wrote:
> > Hi, guys:
> >
> > Is there any one installed ubuntu in Fujitsu Primepower 450
> > successfully? I tried to install the server version of ubuntu 7.10,
> > but failed showing up a message "Red State Exception CPU#0".
> >
> > This machine has a Sparc64 V processor. Any idea?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > Yang
> >
> I have not installed Ubuntu in the Fujitsu Primepower 450, but I think
> you will need the Sun UltraSparc based version if the system has a
> Sparc64 V based processor. If you go to the bottom of the download page,
> there is a line for this version. IMHO, the intel and AMD 64-bit
> versions will not work on the Sparc64 processor.
> You may be able to get to the graphical download page from
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
>
> or wget
> http://ftp.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/pub/linux/ubuntu/releases/gutsy/ubuntu-7.10-server-sparc.iso
>
> Good luck,
>
> --
> Charlie Kravetz
> Linux Registered User Number 425914
> Never let anyone steal your DREAM.

I did get the sparc version of ubuntu 7.1 and tried it on the fujitsu
PP 450, but failed. It seems that ubuntu may support machines from
Sun's family, but not Fujitsu, although both of them use the same cpu
with the same architecture.

There is an opinion that Fujitsu did not release its technique details
to any linux, thus none of the linux version support Fujitsu
Primepower machines.

Yang