How to downgrade nvidia-glx

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Fri Nov 9 04:27:05 UTC 2007

Aart Koelewijn <aart at mtack.xs4all.nl> writes:

> As the laptop still boots fine with the old 2.6.20 I decided to use
> that. The only problem I have with that (at the moment) is the
> nvidia-glx driver. The ones with Gutsy (7.10) do not work with the
> nvidia kernel module for the 2.6.20 kernel, so I will have to install
> the old nvidia-glx driver from the 7.04 set.

I had the same problem as you, and this is what I did.
Install the nvidia-kernel-source.  (aptitude install
nvidia-kernel-source).
The file nvidia-kernel-source.tar.gz is in /usr/src
Unpack it and compile it
cd /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv
make

(if you don't have the compiler installed, install build-essentials)

Now, in /lib/linux-restricted-modules/<kernel version>/nvidia is your
old nvidia kernel module (unlinked object files). Delete these, copy all
the .o files from /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv to this directory.

In /etc/defaults/linux-restricted-modules-common, disable nvidia_legacy
and nvidia_new
(just add this line)
DISABLED_MODULES="nvidia_legacy nvidia_new"

Now, reboot and you should be using the new nvidia modules

--
John L. Fjellstad