FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 9 02:51:09 UTC 2007

--- David Koski <david at kosmosisland.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 08 November 2007 09:55, Derek Broughton
> wrote:
> > David Koski wrote:
> > > <snip>

> _isn't_ what your system
> simply a domain name
> recognized TLDs (Top
> > >
> > > For local only delivery and "masquerading" the
> default local domain
> > > named "localdomain" should suffice as an FQDN
> for most purposes.
> >
> > Not for anything I ever used.  Once you start
> installing mail servers -
> > even if they don't plan to go outside the LAN -
> they seem to want real
> > domains. iirc, postfix (which Leonard is trying to
> set up) _specifically_
> > complained about localdomain.
>

> That is odd.  It is routine for me to install
> workstations without "real"
> FQDNs.  My desktop for one has an FQDN as
> tiikeri.localnet, only because I
> prefer localnet over localdomain.  Postfix works
> like a champ.  You just need
> to configure postfix.  There is nothing magic about
> "real" FQDNS as far as
> mail delivery is concerned.  Specifically check in
> main.cf:  myhostname,
> myorigin.  I think by default:
>
> myorgin = /etc/mailname.
>
> David

OK, Boys let's not flame here; remember I'm watching,
he, he.
Food for thought, I'm sure I've said that I don't have
/etc/mailname on my /etc dir. Probably, at least
twice. Also asked how do I get it; make it myself and
add the domainname(after the at as I've read) or issue
some command to do it, but no answer yet.
Dpkg-reconfigure gives this output:
lchata at ubuntu:/etc$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure amavisd-new
Password:
Stopping amavisd: amavisd-new.
Creating/updating amavis user account...
Starting amavisd: head: cannot open `/etc/mailname'
for reading: No such file or directory
amavisd-new.
lchata at ubuntu:/etc$

If we could get this one resolved, amavisd-new fully
installed and configured, and get that out of the way
it may even help mutt and postfix configs. Anyway, one
less for me to worry about.
Also, I'm at your mercy on the FQDN proper setup for
desktop(I'm not running a server) and everything I've
read is about server setup. I have googled on this but
no revelations occurred. Also visited the urls
suggested and didn't get anything meaningful to me.
Also, main.cf and muttrc(?) are as bewildering to me
to figure out as samba was. Those who read the list
will remember. However, I think I know what most all
the caption entries mean now and can give configuring
them a good shot after FQDN is resolved. Yep, Ive read
the postfix and mutt related man pages.  Looking
foward to any fqdn suggestions.
Thanks to both of you for your help,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net