Not able to install ubuntu 7.10.

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Thu Nov 8 19:51:12 UTC 2007

to, 2007-11-08 kello 07:51 -0800, NoOp kirjoitti:
> On 11/08/2007 05:16 AM, Ari Torhamo wrote:

> > You may install Xubuntu, as Nils says in his reply. If you want to use
> > Ubuntu, you may put more memory into your computer. You would only need
> > 64MB more of it, though 128 or 256MB would be nice. Used memory modules
> > would be cheap to buy. If you don't know how to add memory to your
> > computer or what kind of memory to buy, just ask here :-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ari Torhamo
> >

> I have an old Thinkpad A21M running on 128Mb. Rather slow but works just
> fine otherwise. I also tested against Xubuntu and found that the
> standard version runs just as fast, and in some cases faster than
> xububuntu. In additiona, you get all of the standards bells & whistles
> of Ubuntu in the process. Download and install using the Alternate CD,
> then install in text mode. Then when you get a chance, add more memory
> as advised.
>
> Re cheap memory: I'm finding that the older memory modules are becoming
> more expensive than the latest & greatest.

The latest and greatest are DDR2 modules, which OP's computer won't
accept. It's true that they are sold at very low prices at the moment -
much lower than DDR. The prices of used DDR modules seem to follow the
size somewhat logically. You can get 256MB for less than $10, 512MB for
$15 - $20 and 1GB for $25 - $40. You may have to pay more for brand
memory. You don't see smaller than that RAM sizes on sale often, and
larger sizes being this cheap there's not much sense to buy one - unless
your budget is extreamly tight.

Regards,

Ari