set up password change regularly with certain rules

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Nov 7 22:50:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 12:50:45PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
>
> > With gobzillions of Internet sites
> > _also_ demanding passwords for access today,
>
> Use a single password for all of those sites where you couldn't care less if
> somebody knew it.  I'd share mine except that it's so silly :-)

I use a disposable password that's slightly more secure than that.

Use the same password everywhere but with a suffix or prefix that is a
few letters from the site name, that way even if one site's password
gets guessed it doesn't totally compromise the others.

E.g. if I had a Google account and my basic password was 123abc then
my Google password might be oog123abc, and a similar Yahho password
would be hay123abc.

Once someone knows the 'algorithm' all the passwords are suspect but
it's still better than using the same password everywhere.

--
Chris Green