Thread hijack (was: Re: Dovecot versus Postfix)

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Nov 7 18:14:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 12:56 -0500, Jan Sneep wrote:
> For some reason the list server WON'T let me start new threads !!! Have
> tried many MANY times over the past six months. Doesn't seem to matter
> whether I format the messages as plain text or HTML, neither gets forwarded
> on to the list. Yet, when I reply to a thread created by ANYONE else the
> list server merrily sends my missives on ...
> If you could FIX the list server I, and "all those people who use threading
> mail readers" would REALLY appreciate it I'm sure.

This is not good, but ignoring etiquette and messing it up for everyone
else is certainly not the solution.

I do not think that the list server needs fixing as this works for
everyone else, it seems. I also could not do it since I am not the
admin.

Do you use gmail to send emails? I have read that it has a quirk that
lets you not see your own new mails. There are solutions, please searc
the list archives.

> Now that you mention it, I would love to have an email client that can do
> that. I'm looking for any suggestions on email clients to replace my Outlook
> 2000.

On Windows, I assume. Thunderbird certainly can do it, but I don't know
about other email clients on Windows, if any exist beside Outlook
(Express) and Thunderbird.

It's funny, I had used Linux before I was on the internet, and I always
assumed that everyone has threaded mail readers, since it's such an
obvious thing to do. Until, last year or so, I found out that many
Windows users don't know what mail threading is.