keyboard mapping

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Wed Nov 7 15:02:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 05:52 -0400, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> A  of configs in compiz refer to the "super" key, which I gather might be
> the "windows" key if I had one.  My Thinkpad has only a FN, which is used to
> access secondary functions of some of the F keys.
>
> The output of xmodmap -pm is:
> xmodmap:  up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
>
> shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
> control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
> mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_L (0x7d),  Meta_L (0x9c)
> mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
> mod3
> mod4        Super_L (0x7f),  Hyper_L (0x80)
> mod5        Mode_switch (0x5d),  ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)
>
> What do the entries after mod4 and mod5 refer to?
> TIA
> Paul

Thank you for your patience, Paul. As I am not an expert but have done
some mapping of my own keyboards I will try to answer this for you. To
find or define a ¨super¨ key on your own keyboard, you can go to System
--> Preferences --> Keyboard (in Gnome). I don´t know how to get there
in KDE. Select the Layout Options tab and pick the keys you need.

To find what the above keys do, go into a console using Control+Alt+F1,
log in, run ¨showkeys¨, the next ten keypresses will be shown in keymap
codes. Of course, if you hold the key down, like Alt+KEY, it repeats
many times. Most keys change when used with Left Alt, Right Alt,  Left
Control, Right Control, Left Shift, Right Shift, ...

Read ¨man showkeys¨ for more information on this.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914