Gutsy upgrade nightmare

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Nov 6 23:45:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 00:46 -0700, Art Edwards wrote:
> texlive-lang-french will now neither install nor de-install (using
> apt-get, dpkg, dselect). In fact, the only way I made progress was to
> "hold" that package in dselect.

> emacs dies during install. I'm now working on my Feisty desktop where
> everything still works. When I get the display working on the laptop, I
> will attach the lines from installation.

Please post error messages/logs, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

> It appears that Ubuntu has made Xgl default, all in the name of eye-candy?

Nope, it's AIGLX, which is now a regular part of X. And it's both in the
name of eye-candy and usability, though many people contest the latter.
Personally I think that there is much to learn about how to use 3D
acceleration of the desktop to improve usability, but the exposé-like
overview (F12 I think) is a definite winner, as is the new Alt-Tab
behavior, and for I think that the desktop switch animation makes it
much easier to new users to understand what is going on.

BTW, it also uses less CPU (though it probably sucks too much GPU if you
need battery life)