Help, everything on the screen is blue!

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 6 20:39:48 UTC 2007

--- Ashley Benton <meggalen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was trying to copy some pictures from a cd to my
> desktop, the pictures
> were on the desktop but I had boxes which told me
> that they were copying the
> images. After a while I tried to cancel and close
> the boxes but nothing to
> do so I rebooted the computer. It usually makes
> everything come back and
> close the application that I am not sure how to
> kill. When I came back to
> the computer I had only a black screen, so I unplug
> it, used the excuse to
> put the nvidia card back in it and turn it back on.
> It had trouble getting
> to the regular desktop, long, very long before it
> works and now everything
> is blue. I had this card installed before and
> working without problem and I
> did exactly what I did when I put it in first, so I
> am not sure it comes
> from the card, I think it has something to do with
> the pictures I was trying
> to copy and open as they were made by a windows
> machine, can somebody tell
> me where I would need to look to find out what is
> messed up in the computer
> and how?
> The applications seem to be working OK but when I do
> ls -l I don't have the
> name of the file listed anymore, only the
> autorization, owner, group, size,
> date, and hours, very few files still have a name,
> but if I open my home
> everything is ok, the name are still here! Must have
> done something but I
> don't know what.
> Thank you
> Meg
>Hey Meg,

Have you tried "lsof" from a CLI and looked for any
related entries referring to the process you were
doing. If so, try killing the process using the
process ID listed, there may be more than one so look
through the looooong list to be sure.  Just enter the
command sudo kill <process ID no.>.  I want guarantee
it'll work but that will kill any process still left
over from what you were doing.
HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net