Choosing a distribution

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Nov 6 18:02:51 UTC 2007

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>>> Ubuntu - Debian just use one run level.   If you don't install or at
>>> least prevent gdm et al. from starting then you have the equivalent.
>>> And, as you say, run startx as needed.   Of course, there's always
>>> the argument that you shouldn't use X on a server at all - more
>>> software=more problems...
>> I am a long term Fedora user myself and I'm quite use to the way init
>> levels are used there. I currently experimenting with ubuntu (pretty
>> happy I must say), but I fail to see the advantage of the debian/ubuntu
>> way of doing things with one init level. Being able to drop down to
>> init 3, to fix some X issue, then jumping back to 5, without rebooting
>> was very useful.
>
> If you want to stop the GUI, you can go to a text console (Ctrl-Alt-F1)
> and login there. Then use the command
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>
> if you are using Gnome or
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
>
> if you are using KDE. Then do whatever you wanted to do without GUI
> running. Afterwards use the command above however replace "stop"
> with "start". I.e. there is no need for rebooting here as well. It is
> just a different command sequence.

I'm not sure since I'm recalling from memory, but I don't think this
works when trying to install the NVIDIA drivers (at least under 7.04...I
*think* so far 7.10 finally found and installed a usable driver for my
NVIDIA card by default, THANK YOU THANK YOU!)

I would end up having to make sure the graphics support was broken
before it would boot into an environment that it would take the
installer, which usually happened anyway when the kernel was updated.
What a PITA...even safe mode wouldn't work because it complained DEVFS
may not be working properly at that level, but anything else it would
complain about something else and not run.