Choosing a distribution

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 17:20:21 UTC 2007

> Ubuntu - Debian just use one run level.   If you don't install or at
> least prevent gdm et al. from starting then you have the equivalent.
> And, as you say, run startx as needed.   Of course, there's always
> the argument that you shouldn't use X on a server at all - more
> software=more problems...

I am a long term Fedora user myself and I'm quite use to the way init
levels are used there. I currently experimenting with ubuntu (pretty
happy I must say), but I fail to see the advantage of the debian/ubuntu
way of doing things with one init level. Being able to drop down to init
3, to fix some X issue, then jumping back to 5, without rebooting was
very useful.

I'm sure there must be some reasoning, so maybe someone could try and
convince me why the debian/ubuntu way is better ;)

cheers Chris