Ubuntu desktop

Art Edwards edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com
Tue Nov 6 08:36:25 UTC 2007

So, I'm gettting the

"The greeter application appears to crash..." error when I attempt to
use gdm.
I have read the previous fix (disabling accessibility login), but you
have to be running gdm (which I can't) to use that fix. However, I
realized that I don't have the Ubuntu desktop. Well, it appears that the
Ubuntu desktop depends on compiz, a pure eye-candy application.
Currently, do get X running, I have to login to a console and invoke kdm
manually. Does gdm require that I have Ubuntu desktop installed?

Art Edwards